Monday 6 February 2012

Strike A Pose

Afternoon sleepy heads - I am guessing most of you/your boyfriends/friends/family (delete as applicable) stayed up to watch the Superbowl last night? And what a corker. The only time you can really say Spandex is the most beautiful thing you have ever seen heh? Having met a few American football players in my time...and a couple soon to be NFLers as well I must say, they are as partial to a little tight skinned bodywear as last night's half time act herself. The Superbowl must be the only sporting event where the uniform and the entertainment is camper than a weekend with Alan Carr...and I am guessing he wears A LOT less padding.

Anyway, I cant help it - all day I have been battling with whether or not to blog on it - but I have to...Madonna and the Superbowl half time show. You have most likely read everything you can handle about this already today, but she is a fashion in herself so I feel I have no choice but to comment.

The first three items to be commended on the agenda: Philip Treacy headdress, Riccardo Tisci for Givenchy wardrobe and Bulgari jewellery. It is impossible to look foolish when three of the biggest names in their respective fields are dressing you. This was perhaps Madonna's thoughts as she has worked with Tisci before and rightly so decided he was a better choice than looking like a 13 year old goth in her own line. Stick to what you know I suppose. Although I was, as always, in awe of the fashion on display here, I felt it a little disjointed. It appears that Ancient Egypt and the 300 movie have had a love affair and given birth to Madonna. Luckily it all made sense later when Cee Lo Green came on dressed like he was in Sister Act....huh? I just didnt like the transition between King Leonidas, cheerleader and then Whoopi Goldberg. They arent really related...or perhaps it is just me that thinks that? Judging by the press today it is not...

Dont get me wrong, I will forever be in love with the Madonna classics and if anyone bought me a Jean Paul Gaultier cone bra I would wear it with pride, but perhaps this is where Madge should draw the line. End on a high? If you have read my past posts you can see how I RAVED about W.E the movie Madonna co-wrote and directed; perhaps it is time for her to continue her journey into film and leave music to the people who accompanied her on stage last night - M.I.A, Nicki Minaj, LMFAO and Cee Lo Green.

The actual fashion itself with magnificent. Tisci had created a hand embroidered gold cape that was draped to perfection over a black mini dress with studded belt. An embellished black coat finished off the look. The jewellery was simple gold and diamonds, hopefully not overlooked by those of us who dream in Bulgari. Finally the headdress was breath taking and I am looking forward to seeing how many knockoffs I see floating above the crowd at Cheltenham race week. If there is one thing to be said about Madonna - she certainly doesnt do things by halves. And lets be honest, who among us hasnt fantasized about being a goddess?

She is still a style icon and a business woman to be reckoned with. Dont get me wrong either, that girl looks GOOOOOD. The performance, as always, last night was spectacular and in most cases has drawn more interest than the actual final score (21-17 to the New York Giants, if anyone wants to know). The only issue is that nearly all the articles today have said that she is getting too old for this. Her moves werent what they were although in some ways her body is better now than it was in her coming out days.

I suppose the real and final question is: is 50 something too old to be wearing over the knee leather boots with fish net tights? I guess life is a mystery and everyone must stand alone when it comes to this issue.

Enjoy the rest of your Monday.
Becky xx

No comments:

Post a Comment