Wednesday 15 February 2012

Flapper Girls and Floppy Hats!


Hello Friends,

How was your Valentine's Day? Mine was like any other day except I went for dinner with a close friend. Like I said yesterday, Valentine's Day doesn't just have to be about showing your partner you love them. Apparently the Job Centre did not get this message... I have to tell you about this because it was like a Catherine Tate sketch. I decided yesterday to go to the JC and ask if I could claim Job Seeker's from Dec 21st which is when I finished work. I take a close friend with me, for moral support - we are both dressed nicely, but nothing over the top; normal day to day attire. My friend is in gym clothes, I in an autumnal coloured dress from Warehouse. Well, we turn up and it is apparently a meeting of the underage alcoholic parenting club - they are sat on the wall as though waiting for the Trojan Horse to arrive. It was like that moment you walk into a party and everyone stares at you because you look so beautiful....but with more White Lightening and less compliments. We walk in and im served by Henry VIII himself - sweating profusely and generally annoyed at the world. He nods me over and I ask about Job Seeker's, which he (shouting) repeats to the entire world. I tell him my situation and he shakes his head all the way through and then speaks to me VERY slowly in a tone people often think will help foreigners - it wont, for it surely didn't help me and im from here. Then I go to tell him I worked in another country because I was at uni in America and he replies with "ooooooo" as though I think i'm fancy - well I am but that is besides the point. He then told me I will have to take a test to prove i'm English - my passport is not enough apparently and meet with the man who will tell me to sell pans door to door. The internship in March is my saviour as it gives me a valid reason to only use Le Creuset and not sell it!!! All in all one of my better life experiences along with that time a girl stood on me and broke my foot and when I had pneumonia for three weeks.

Anyway, laugh everyone else has....and I will move onto...

F
Gucci RTW Spring 2012
Vogue
Fashion Trend: Flapper Girl - 20s - For those of you, like me, who are SURE you were born in the wrong era, Flapper Dresses are for you. Who didn't want to be dripping in beads, smoking a cigarette longer than the night and partying the Roaring Twenties away? Well now, you can make believe because the flapper is back!! This is especially perfect if you have a boyish figure...or want one...because it is straight up straight down. The more beads to move when you dance, the better! Gucci sent the most stunning black, gold and silver versions down the runway and I am just dying to get my hands on one. Who needs to eat for the rest of the ...gulp....year? One boyish figure here I come I guess! View the entire collection (where this picture is from) at http://www.vogue.com/collections/spring-2012-rtw/gucci/review/#/collection/runway/spring-2012-rtw/gucci/42

Felt floppy with grosgrain band
Felt Floppy with Grosgrain Band - £28
Accessorize

Fashion Item: Floppy Hat! The DKNY models strutted their stuff on the runway all shielding their eyes' from the glare of the hot lights under these beauties. Think maxi skirt, bright top (or band if you have a skinny tum), big sunnies and floppy felt hat a la Nicole Ricci. This is THE summer festival look. The best thing is everyone from Marks and Sparks to DKNY will be selling them, so you can pick one up to fit your budget. I made one with a friend for a uni project once - it was a replica of something the Duchess of Devonshire - Georgiana - wore; so you know it be fancy. Accessorize do tons and I want them all. http://www.accessorize.com/en/restofworld/felt-floppy-with-grosgrain-band/invt/19111424/?bklist=icat,4,shop,accessoriesshop,accessoriesshophats

Coloured Denim £12.50
Forever 21
Store or Label: Forever 21. My friends in America hate it, my friends in England love it, so you have to make up your own mind. It is a novelty in this country as it is still new, but in America people are aware of the poor quality of clothing and quiet rumblings that they may use sweatshops. Whatever the ethics behind it, they are a fashion forward, quick and dirty way to shop. If you know a trend is going to be in for literally three seconds you are better going to Forever 21 and spending a tenner than popping to Chanel and spending £10,000. It is basically the American H & M, so be prepared to sift through a lot if you are going in. Worth it if you have the time and you know what you want. Coloured and patterned denim are SO in this season and they start at £12.50 here for example - Primark prices, H&M choice. Take a look. http://www.forever21.com/UK/Product/Category.aspx?br=f21&category=Promo_Colored_Denim

Celebrity or Designer: Felicity Jones. England's new 'it' girl - I thought she should follow our new 'it' boy Eddie Redmayne. She is about to star in the film 'Like Crazy' about a girl from England and a boy from America who meet in the U.S. and fall in love but are then torn apart. She is 28 but looks about 19 - lucky - and is just beautiful. She has that pretty but breath-taking Bond girl look. Her fashion sense is something to watch too as she dresses classically - Chanel's dream. Knee to calf length dresses in one or two colours are her style - but she never looks boring. Gold suits her complexion and black gives her the French chic look but she is often in cute 50s housewife dresses. She dresses like a love child of Marion Cotillard and Zooey Deschanel - and she stars opposite Ed Westwick in 'Chalet Girl'. There really isn't anything not to love.

Now, go finish off the chocolate you got yesterday - I will not ask if it was bought for you or by you... and enjoy your Wednesday!

Becky xx

No comments:

Post a Comment