Wednesday 22 February 2012

Fashion... Just for a BRIT of a change...

Hi!!

So what have you all decided to give up for lent? I am sat here eating Twirl bites and watching Les Miserable clips on Youtube, so you can clearly see I have given up none of my favourite things. And I can't give up fashion because it will interfere with my work - sooo... What I would like to give up is going to the Job Centre - I went today to see about backdating this whole Job Seeker's Allowance situation. Henry VIII was still there - see previous post for explanation - and he greats me with "first claim - are you excited" to which I give obligatory but forced laugh - he then asks me again as though answering this question is imperative to my claim. I said no. What? Pancakes and lies don't mix well. He then said "are you nervous... because you should be" and then laughed to himself. Unless we have slipped into a parallel universe where instead of being in the Job Centre I am actually in a pub waiting to go on a date with you, then no I am not nervous. Even if I was in said parallel universe, nervous wouldn't be the correct word...nauseated would be. Anyway, all in all was a pretty pointless experience - will let you know if I get anything from it.

BUT!! I cannot be down in the mouth because last night was the BRITS!!! Firstly we just need to deal with the fact that this Adele quitting for five years thing seems to actually be true seeing as when she picked up her award for best album she said "bye, see you all next time round I guess!" to which the crowd naturally booed. Please do not go Adele, you are our broken heart fixer. How else are we going to explain when we sometimes feel the need to have a little cry in the car, then stop next to the boy we used to date and have to explain - "Just listening to 'Someone Like You'" which they then think is about them and decide to ask no more questions??

Right - the Brits is tooooooo important to squish into a little post - so I am postponing L until tomorrow. Please send all complaints about this to the Job Centre. Anyway, lets break this fashion extravaganza down into people and trends (all images lovingly borrowed from The Guardian unless otherwise stated http://www.guardian.co.uk/fashion/gallery/2012/feb/22/brit-awards-red-carpet-arrivals):

Brits red carpet arrivals: Brits red carpet arrivals
Jessica Rabbit - Lana Del
Rey
RED!! Besides walking on the red carpet, quite a few of the lovelies were wearing it. I am still unsure what I am feeling about the red sheer/embroidered gown Jessie J was wearing. I can't decide if it is her or the dress I am rebelling against. With the hair and the eyes it was all just a little Christina Aguilera in the Lady Marmalade video.... Lana Del Rey did however look like the real life version of Jessica Rabbit in a stunning but simple red Vivienne Westwood gown. With her hair that colour, just flowing simply and with her uhum full lips, well she is a female force to be reckoned with. Christina Perri did the same thing as Jessie with sheer and embroidery/sequin cover ups - I like Jessie's more - I know I even surprised myself with that. Jessie's looks better made and classier, Christina's looks kind of cheap... I really liked that Pixie Lott had gone for a classic black number and paired it with bright red accessories - another twist to the all red look. The look was perhaps a little too old for her though? She looked beautiful, but maybe could have gone with something more youthful and fun.

Brits red carpet arrivals: Brits red carpet arrivals
Dazzling - Rihanna
Highly/unusually embellished - Rihanna: girl where have you been!! I really liked what she was wearing last night - a heavily beaded long dress - not too dissimilar in cut to the one she wore to the Grammys (which I wasn't keen on because it was rather plain/cheap looking). She look striking in the dress which matched her skin tone...and her shoes! Get it girl. If this is what her Giorgio Armani capsule collection is going to be like I have judged her too soon (this dress is Givenchy - not from her collection). Also Alexandra Burke was wearing a creation embellished with a wooden neckline, which is SO on trend. Get wood in any part of your ensemble - bag, heel, jewellery or clothing if you can. So cute, so sustainable. Nicole Scherzinger (the only Pussycat Doll we remember according to James Corden) also pulled out all the trend stops with a pastel (YES!), lemon (YES!!), highly embellished (YES!!!) strapless dress - damn girl.

Brits red carpet arrivals: Brits red carpet arrivals
Woman in Black - Adele
I was disappointed with Kylie's dress - I thought it was boring and rather prom looking - royal blue strapless YSL dress. And, however much I LOVE Adele and everything about her - I wish she would try something that wasn't a long black dress. Don't get me wrong she looked absolutely STUNNING!! Maybe when she pops back in a few years she will have met Mary Katrantzou...

Someone needs to explain to me how Florence is the only woman in the world who thinks she can wear pale colours and not look dead. Maybe it is just because she always goes with Chanel or (like last night) Alexander McQueen creations. I <3 your designer choice sweet girl, but not the colours - get some vibrant red or emerald green on you and watch everyone hate you for being so fabulous.

Brits red carpet arrivals: Brits red carpet arrivals
A Little Too Mixed Up
You will either agree with me or hate me for this next statement - I was SEVERELY disappointed with Little Mix - their outfits did not co-ordinate in anyway and the colours clashed - not in a cute edgy way either. There were too many trends - snakeskin, pastels, tweed, clunky shoes - but they were not done right. Just choose one or two and make sure you focus on those... I know they are new, so I will let them off, but this time next year I want to see a HUGE improvement - got it!!!



Brits red carpet arrivals: Brits red carpet arrivals
Work It Ed
I thought the boys all looked cute - Tinie Tempah always cracks me up. All the boys but Plan B I should say - who to be honest seemed kind of out of it - and I think was wearing a suit he had worn before....ewwww. I LOVED that Ed Sheeran sang in a t-shirt and jeans but then came on in a 70s looking prom suit. He really is just the love of my life. The One Direction boys looked nothing if not dapper - maybe they can speak to Little Mix about co-ordination.
CHER-ing my sequins with...
...Louie Spence

Luckily stars were all for eco-friendly clothing this award show and Cher Lloyd and Louis Spence made sure nothing was wasted when they created their outfits. Share a bolt of fabric, save the world. How about use your own fabric, save the world from a terrible outfit... Worst dressed by far (bar the foxy Louboutin spiked shoes Cher is wearing) [Cher image from The Sun online and Louis Spence from holymoly.com]




Hope you all enjoyed the Brits as much as I did. Now to think about whether I should give up carbs for lent....hmmm do I enjoy pasta or body con more...on that note I think I better pop to Jane's Pantry before it closes. Ciao.
Becky xx

No comments:

Post a Comment